2013 Seminars & Workshops
1. Public Lectures on Rethinking Development Economics and Public Policy
The Ethiopian Development Research Institute (EDRI) in collaboration with the French Development Agency (AFD) and Addis Ababa University (AAU) organized public lectures on Rethinking Development Economics and Public Policy on June 5, 2013 at the College of Business and Economics, AAU.
The lectures were delivered by two prominent professors from the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London. Professor Mushtaq Khan spoke about the economic underpinnings of the developmental state paradigm and Professor Christopher Cramer about the role of agricultural transformation in a developmental state.
1. 2. Workshop on The Importance of Agricultural Exports: macroeconomic, employment and poverty reduction potential in Ethiopia
The Ethiopian Development Research Institute (EDRI) in collaboration with the Ministry of Finance and Economic Development (MoFED) and the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) of the University of London organized a workshop on The Importance of Agricultural Exports: macroeconomic, employment and poverty reduction potential in Ethiopia on November 7, 2013 in Intercontinental Addis Hotel.
The presenters were high-profile researchers and professors from SOAS of the University of London including Professor Christopher Cramer, Professor John Sender, and Dr. Deborah Johnston.
3. Meeting of the Ministers’ steering Committee for the Climate Resilience Strategy
EDRI organized a forum on May 5, 2013 to discuss the climate resilience strategy undertaken by the Ethiopian Environmental Protection Authority in collaboration with a technical committee and researchers.
The forum aimed at briefing the progress report of the strategy that focused on the Agriculture sector and gathering feedback on the preliminary results and future directions.
The institute also hosted the subsequent meeting on August 15, 2013 that aimed at following up the progress of the Climate Resilience Strategy. Additionally, the plan for Climate Resilience Strategy in other sectors including water and energy were discussed.
Three presentations were made;
• Highlights of the Shoe Manufacturing Value Chain: Business and Market Relationships among Shoe Companies and Shortcomings Witnessed by Mr. Solomon Geru (CEO, Together for Excellency (TFE)
• Highlights of the Major Problems Confronting the Shoe Manufacturing Sector and Alternatives Aimed at Transforming the Sub-sector Technologies and Competitiveness by Mr. Wondu Legesse (Director General , Leather Industry Development Institute)
• Government Policy, Strategy, and Incentive Packages in Leather and Learhter Products and Alternative Approaches to Enhance the Sector by Mr. Abdissa Adugna (Secretary General, Ethiopian Leather Industries Associations)
The seminar was part of the bi-monthly seminar series aimed at discussing the problems and challenges of the Ethiopian private sector.
Workshop on Climate Resilient Strategy for Key Agricultural Export Commodities in Ethiopia
EDRI organized a half-day workshop on Climate resilient strategy for key agricultural export commodities in Ethiopia on September 3, 2014 at the EDRI conference hall.
Three papers were presented during the workshop: Climate Modelling by Dr. Geremew Sahilu and Dr. Agizew Nigussie, Agronomy of Cotton and Sugarcane by Dr. Kidane Giorgis and Dereje Getu, and Economic Analysis: Climate Risk, Vulnerability and Adaptation.
The purpose of the workshop was to create a discussion forum and get feedback for the preliminary results from the field survey of the research to generate inputs for formulating a Climate Resilient Strategy for Major Agricultural Export Commodities in Ethiopia, such as, Sugarcane and Cotton.
The workshop was a follow-up on the inception workshop held in February, 2014.